Farr fights to keep school lunches healthy




Farr fights to keep school lunches healthy 

Amendment would preserve the nutrition standards created by the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act

 
WASHINGTON, DC – Rep. Sam Farr, D-Calif., Ranking Member on the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, released the following statement today after the Committee on Appropriations rejected his amendment to the FY 2015 Agriculture Appropriations bill to strike out a program that will allow school systems to seek a waiver from the nutrition standards created by the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act. The amendment failed, 22-29, on a party line vote:
 
“We would never tell our kids to stop worry about learning math and science because it’s hard. So why would we tell them to not worry about eating healthy just because it’s hard? Switching to healthier school food options is tough. However, 90% of our schools have made the switch and students in those districts are benefiting from more nutritious meals. Congress should focus on providing the remaining 10% of schools the resources they need to meet the healthier standards, not offering a carve out just because it’s hard to break bad habits.
 
“This generation of children is the first that will live shorter, sicker lives than their parents. Congress should not help contribute to that legacy.  We should not waste American taxpayer dollars on unhealthy foods that contribute to the growing obesity epidemic. Instead let’s invest in providing healthy, filling and tasty meals that nourish our students. Child nutrition experts all agree the new standards are having a positive effect on reversing the obesity epidemic and helping bring down health care costs.
 
“This was just the first battle in the fight to preserve the progress we have made in healthy school lunches and breakfasts. I will continue to work with my colleagues to remove this harmful rider as we move the bill to the floor. Let’s focus on science and not politics. Let’s put our kid’s health first.”    
 
Video of the debate can be found here. Amendment debate begins at 28:33.
 
# # #