SERVICE ACADEMY NOMINATION PROCEDURES
For candidates entering in 2014:
Each year it is my privilege to nominate exceptional young men and women to our nation's service academies. The opportunity for a quality education and the honor of attending a service academy make these nominations highly competitive. I hope all motivated students living in California's 20th Congressional District will consider these fine opportunities for education and service to our country. Candidates to an academy must be at least 17 years of age, and must not have passed their 23rd birthday, as of July 1, 2014. They must also reside in California's 20th Congressional District, be U.S. citizens, and must never have been married. In order to be considered for a nomination, you must provide the following:
- The completed application form (use additional pages if necessary).
- A statement of why you wish to attend the military academy for which you have requested nomination. If you have requested nomination for two academies, you need only write on the subject of your primary choice. The statement should not exceed 1000 words.
- An official high school transcript. The transcript must arrive at my office in an unopened envelope, closed by school officials and stamped with the school seal to ensure the validity of the document. The transcript itself must also be visibly marked with the official school seal.
- Official Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores. SAT scores may either be forwarded to my office by the testing center, or they may be included as part of your official transcript. If you have the scores forwarded by the testing center, my office's SAT Score File Number is 4639 and my offices's ACT Score File Number is 7256.
- Three letters of recommendation (not from relatives).
DEADLINE: The class that enters in July 2014 should submit all application material (items listed above) beginning July 1, 2013 and no later than October 1, 2013.
All materials should be sent to:
Congressman Sam Farr
701 Ocean Street, Room 318
Santa Cruz, California 95060
Any questions? Please contact my office for further information at (831) 424-2229.